The main highlights of the new expected UAE industrial Law 11 published in Official Gazette no. 703 on 31 May 2021 are as follows :
- Introduction of 12 months grace period for disclosures of inventions prior to filing.
- New subject matter exclusions: research on plant or animal species, natural substances, software.
- Applications must be filed in English or Arabic but if either is not available, late filing is possible within 90 days from receipt of the official notice .
- Accelerated examination of ‘urgent applications’ – subject to conditions of PTO.
- Applicant can file for one or more divisional applications where an original application contains two or more inventions.
- Industrial designs are valid for 20 years instead of 10 years
The new law is expected to come into force when the Executive Regulations shall be published (scheduled by November 2021).
For further information in respect of the above, please contact Baianat-IP UAE office at firstname.lastname@example.org